Guide: 20 good addresses in Bugue for your holiday in the Dordogne
Are you planning to visit the Dordogne? Le Bugue-sur-Vézère will be without a doubt on yourtravels whether you are staying on a campsite, in a hotel, a rental property, or you are coming to enjoy the many shops and activities. In order to help you benefit fully from this little friendly, picturesque town, an essential outing for the region, here are 20 tips. 20 great addresses for alltastes and all the family, that we hope will help make your future holiday in the Périgordunforgettable.
Our selection of tips !
Restaurants in Le Bugue
Le Bugue has over 20 restaurants, snack bars, tea rooms. Among them :
1. Chez Paul : Great food of the Périgord Noir. This restaurant is lodged in an out of time setting in the Park of Le Bournat. Regional dishes are served in a bucolic, shady spot with a tavern-like atmosphere. Not to be missed !, the unlimited country menu and the unmatched ambience of the open nights at Bournat all summer. Find out more, Here.
2. Brasserie Oscar : A simple and efficient address by the riverside. Specialities of the Périgord and pub food can be tasted on the green and shaded terrace that overlooks the river Vézère. Try the tourain périgourdin, a garlic and onion soup.
3. L’Abreuvoir : This crêpe house is hidden away in the little picturesque streets in the old part of town. Peaceful atmosphere, shaded and lovely crêpes await you within the beautiful stone houses of the historical centre.
4. Tiffany’s : An address for gourmands, this modern and charming tea room offers a selection of teas, latte coffees, brownies and vanilla or chocolate cupcakes.
Coffee bars with a terrace
For outdoors refreshments whilst all the while soaking up the summer ambience, rural charm and the natural setting of this hillside town on the river:
5. Bar de l’Union : Bar Pmu the terrace is ideally exposed in the heart of the town.
6. Chai Monique :Wine bar, full of charm, where you can also taste some local foods
7. Viz’ara : this sweet toothed break offers you a panoramic view over the river Vézère, the valley and the bridge in Le Bugue which connects the 2 river banks.
Every member of the family is sure to find what they need : homemade ice creams, cakes, cool drinks. You must try the walnut tart, to eat in or to take out. This tart for which the recipe is well guarded is without doubt the best in the Dordogne. And if, once you are back home, you cannot go there, they can deliver !
Périgord specialities and food
A stay or a whistle stop in Le Bugue is an opportunity to enjoy great foods. Specialities of the Périgord, walnut based produce, Wines from Bordeaux, Bergerac and elsewhere, homemade ice creams, local farmer’s produce, there is always something to fill your basket and awaken your taste buds.
8. Foie gras : For all your foie gras produce, duck and other local specialities, you are offered two choices. Grolière, multi award winning producer whose factory is situated in Le Bugue and can be visited, and La Maison du foie gras, situated just a few steps away. In any case, taste the enchaud, candied pork meat less known than duck but just as delicious. Other périgourdin food to try, the Papitou, pâté made with 30% foie gras !
9. Cheeses : Au Coin des saveurs buguoises, local produces and of course the great cheeses of Audrix. We recommend Cabécou goats’ cheese, the Tomme du Périgord and of course the Trappe, tomme made with walnut liquor.
10. Bread & pastries : In the bakery Le Moulin, succumb to the award-winning walnut cake and test the tourtes, huge and savoury wholemeal bread pain. Not hesitate to order yours, they go quickly.
11. Local and organic : Maison paysanne : a selection of produce from local farmers, of the season and organic. A range of meats, regional trout, vegetables, wines, ice creams …And the Biosmose shop 100% organic.
12. For everything : Intermarché aka Aladdin’s cave. A large supermarket, you will find all you need to fill your fridge but there are other aisles: decoration, garden, pool, toys, books, jewellery, clothes, regional products …
13. Wines : amateur or not, use your time in Le Bugue-sur-Vézère for a trip to the cellars of Julien de Savignac. This magnificent, huge and stunning wine cellar is a must see. Other than the decoration, you will find a large range of wins and spirts, at all prices and a tasting station. The opportunity to learn about the wines of Bergerac.
The famous Le Bugue market
The market in Bugue, what a story. It has been traditionally held by royal decree every Tuesday for the past 700 years. The royal tradition has been respected ever since, and has made the reputation of this multi centenary market. A smaller market is also held on a Saturday. Which ever the day or size, you are sure to find the best produce of the region : truffles, ducks, strawberries of the Périgord, walnut oil …
14. The Tuesday market: the market takes place throughout the entire town, la rue de Paris and its surrounds. Hundreds of stalls sell all sorts, making this event, one of the most sort after markets of the Dordogne. Go nice and early if you are looking for a calm ambience.
15. The Saturday market: A smaller version, lodged in the square outside the town hall. The ambience is calmer, there are less stalls but enough to find all you need from a market of the Périgord.
Newspapers & Holiday reads
To stock up on magazines, find the book of your holidays and be able to bubble up properly by the swimming pool at your campsite or rental accommodation, stop off at the bookshop ideally located in the Intermarché gallery.
16. Newspaper shop – Librairie Le Maout a large choice of magazines, books, puzzle books, children’s books, pens and paper
Beauty and well being
Whilst exploring the region on the hunt for treasures of prehistory and medieval times, why not use your time in our beautiful region to be pampered in between trips to the caves of Lascaux and the castle of Castelnaud.
17. A beauty treatment or massage at the institutes Grain de Beauté or Magali beauty parlour.
18. A new hair cut in one of the 7 hairdressers in Le Bugue.
Souvenirs and decorations
Searching for treasure, contemplating or buying souvenirs of your holiday in the south west, shops are a must in Le Bugue.
19. Boutique Lili :Boutique Lili : beautiful objects, strange, surprising from all eras in this antique-flea market run with passion.
20. Lilies interior : A pretty shop of decorations and gifts in the old cobble streets of the town, the opportunity to chill in this maze of charm and admire the medieval houses.
The traders of Le Bugue
Other than its geographical situation, at the crossroads of Sarlat-la-Canéda, Périgueux and Bergerac, Le Bugue conjures the charm of villages of the périgourdins and a dynamic and familial atmosphere.
Several small shops and three supermarkets are established. You will find :
1 IIntermarché supermarket
2low-cost stores (Lidl and Aldi)
1 post office
2 opticians (Optic 2000, Atol)
1 hearing centre (AuditionSanté)
2 beauty parlours
3 tobacco shops, 1 vape store (VapoBug)
2 newspaper shop – book store
4 florists (Bug’Fleurs, Interflora, Atelier Floral, Arbre à fleurs)
2 decoration shops, souvenirs (La Boîte à souvenir, Lilies décoration)
1 fishing shop (Au fin pêcheur)
2 DIY stores, garden center (Bricomarché, La Périgourdine)
1 white goods store, hifi … (PRO&Cie)
2 dog groomers
1 computer store (Sosi informatique)
Several clothes and shoe shops
More than 20 cafés, restaurants
1 medical center and several doctors (dentists, eye specialist…).
What to do in Le Bugue
In addition to all the commodities, numerous activities for the young and old are available and there are several tourist sites of the Dordogne Périgord to be seen : the 1900’s theme park of Le Bournat, The aquarium du Périgord the prehistorical labyrinth, the Big Bird, zip wire and rope walks in forests, the Bara-Bahau caves, the Jacquou water park, canoeing, kayaking, mountain biking, hiking …and, the Gouffre de Proumeyssac in Audrix, highest village of the Périgord adjoined to Le Bugue.
Le Bugue is an ideal starting point for exploring the Périgord Noir and beyond. In the heart of the Valley of the Vézère, at the doors of the valley of man, at equal distances between the capitals of the Dordogne :Sarlat, Bergerac and Périgueux, the little town of Le Bugue stands out for its strengths.
From Le Bugue, you can easily go off in search of natural and cultural treasures. Prehistorical sites registered as world heritage sites by UNESCO, the 1001 castles like Beynac, Milande, Commarque, the most beautiful villages of France like Beaumont-du-Périgord or Le Buisson de Cadouin, the caves, leisure parks, abbeys, fortified villages and all that the Dordogne has to offer.
And all of that, whilst enjoying the great addresses of the little gem Périgord Noir.